Translate

Monday, March 25, 2013

Concussions

It's amazing how something as innocuous as a playground slide can have such a lasting impact... literally.

Three years ago this past May I was trying out the new tube slide on the playground with my then four year old son. I discovered abruptly that, while he had the ability to sit up at the end of his ride and use his downward momentum to shoot out of the slide, I did not. I smacked my head on the top of the slide and knocked myself out. Literally.

Three years later I am still symptomatic. Usually those lingering symptoms mean that I cannot split wood or play racket sports-- anything that jars my brain. I aggravated those symptoms again last fall playing Ultimate frisbee, but I was basically OK as long as I did not run hard or do anything to jar myself.

Then, in February 2013, I took a fall on the ice. Actually, I didn't even fall. I just slipped and almost fell. Instead of actually falling I whipped myself around and landed on my feet. I regretted my cat-like response shortly afterward as the room began to spin and ordinary lights and sounds created explosions in my head. Tricky to teach with such symptoms.

I hibernated in a dark room all weekend and tried to go back to work the next Monday. I limped through part of that next week and then had to retreat into a cave again. I took the following week off (thanks, Alyson Bull for helping me with sub plans and effectively taking that burden off my plate!).

Now, five weeks later, my symptoms have subsided to the point where I am pretty much back to normal, as long as I get lots of sleep and give myself breaks every day.

Consequently, it's been a long time since I posted anything on this blog. It feels good to be mostly back above water once again.
The Red Beast
Not recommended for people over 5' 9' or 175 cm tall!

No comments:

Post a Comment